Monsoon is here, and with it, it has brought the swelling humidity. While many of us are complaining about how the humidity is messing with our hair, we forget about the sparkling little treasures that we have on us. Just because precious jewellery is known to be sturdy and inert, doesn't mean that moisture has no effect on them.
Here are a few tips and tricks to keep your precious treasures sparkling even in the rain.
1. Due to its natural properties, silver is more prone to the effects of moisture when compared to gold, causing them to oxidise and tarnish. So in order to prevent this from happening, make sure that you store and keep your jewellery in dry locations.
2. Contrary to popular belief, avoid storing your jewellery in airtight plastic bags as it will start to sweat and cause it to tarnish faster than usual.
3. Always store your jewellery in separate bags. These bags need to breathe, so preferably cotton or tarnish-proof jewellery bags; they won’t only prevent your pieces from scratching but with also protect them from the humidity.
4. Try and avoid wearing your delicate beauties in the rain as much as possible. It can still cause the metals to lose its lustre.
5. By any chance you are caught in the rain with jewellery on, make sure they are completely dry before placing them back in their box. Avoid using paper towels or tissues to dry your jewellery as the fibres can scratch the surface of your jewellery.
6. Try placing silica gel bags with your jewellery. The silica gel will absorb the moisture in the environment and protect your prized possessions from blackening.
But, ultimately it doesn't matter how you choose to protect your jewellery, it is essential that you regularly check your sparkling pieces to pick up on signs of scratches and damage early on.
The Orna-mentals is a blog by Radiant Bay with a mission to bring you expert opinions, news, ideas and inspirations about fashion, jewellery and all its nuances. Register with us for all the BEST deals and NEW arrivals at Radiant Bay.